#AtoZChallenge : To Engineering

Image Source
Dear Engineering,
When I was a kid at different points of time I wanted to be
something- sometimes a teacher, sometimes a chef, an astronaut, a doctor, a
writer, a policewoman and the list goes on. I never really thought about being
an engineer, because at that time, an engineer to me was one who designed the
houses and buildings. And for some reason I wasn’t inclined to being one. Time
passed by and soon I was asked what do I want to be in life. I had no answer
because I’d never given it some serious thought. And then there came a time
when I had to make a decision- at least the one that gave me some direction.
Science it was in plus two- but I thought I wanted to be a doctor. But the laws
of physics and integrations and differentiations of calculus, sine theta,
cosine theta was I liked to do. Though basic science was my love, I was pushed
to study something that would help me earn in the long run or so it was said.
When I landed a seat for Electronics and Communication
Engineering, I knew it was just the beginning of the journey. Engineering to me
at that point of time meant making awesome gadgets- but when I was supposed to
draw the front, top and lateral views, or when I was using a pipette to get the
exact amount of acid while being careful not to drink any, I was disappointed.
What am I doing with my life, I thought. And then the next three years taught
me a lot- those never ending zeros and ones, the currents and voltages, the
transistors, the diodes, the oscilloscopes that never really gave us the sine
waves when we wanted it to, the LED that refused to glow, the capacitors that
we burst and not to forget- missed semicolons, the unclosed brackets and tags.
While these were the little things, I realized that it was the culmination of
these things that was making all our lives easier and better. The marvels of
engineering which I’d failed to recognize before were now there for me to see.
“Engineers like to
solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create
their own problems.”

-Scot Adams
Yes problems I’ve created and that struggle to find the
solution, I’ve experienced. Looking at how life after the 4 years of study of
engineering has been so far, I know what I have learned so far is just the tip
of the ice berg. But I’m glad that I chose you engineering!
An engineer,
Reema

I’m taking up the #AtoZChallenge and my theme is “A letter for a letter”. So make sure you read
all the letters from A to Z.

Also participating in the Ultimate Blog Challenge.

31 Comments Add yours

1. Pat Garcia says:

I truly admire you. So glad to read that you are a happy engineer and that you love solving problems.
    All the best.

Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

2. Aathira says:

As long as it makes you happy at the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters I think 🙂 Good to see you enjoying what you do for a living, Reema. Not everyone is blessed with that.

3. Shalini says:

Haa! You love what you do! That's great. Being a Masters in Computer Engineering, I hate what I do! Well, sometimes, just when the job becomes hectic. 😛
    Visit to read Army Wife Tales at Tale of Two Tomatoes
    You can also drop in to check 26 Chicken Recipes at Something's Cooking

1. reemwrites says:

When it becomes difficult all of us hate it 😛

4. Kala Ravi says:

I am so glad you are happy with what you have done so far Reema. That is a blessing indeed. Keep at it girl.
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave

1. reemwrites says:

5. Hey Reema, Lovely post..I am an engineer too…an automobile engineer 🙂 Pleasure connecting…

Nice to know that Roma 🙂

6. Dixita mour says:

Wpw good to know that you are in Engineering even though you never thought about indulging in it 🙂

Keep Rocking girl .

And yay hope are doing well now.

@dixita011 from
    Cafenined words

7. Dixita mour says:

Keep Rocking girl .

And yay hope are doing well now.

@dixita011 from
    Cafenined words

8. Karan Shah says:

A happy engineer, an increasing breed this days.
    Also as they love your work and you'll never work in your life 🙂

Yes that is true. Thanks for the comment Karan 🙂

9. salma broad says:

This post is really informative and you have posted such precious and informative article which gave me lot of information. I hope that you will keep it up and we will have more informative and helping news from you. Thanks

– Salma Broad
    Writer

Thanks for the comment.

10. Mason Canyon says:

Great post and wonderful that you've found something you enjoy. Sometimes the title of an occupation doesn't do it justice. We think of it only as one thing, not all the possibilities it could be.

Mason
    Alex's Ninja Minion

1. reemwrites says:

Yes rightly said. Unless we explore we won't really know what people of a particular profession do.

11. My aptitude test told me to either go to engineering or commerce. I was totally not inclined to go into science, and thus took commerce. I feel the lives of engineers is super drab and boring.. But after seeing so many engineer-bloggers I'm forced to change my opinion 🙂

1. reemwrites says:

Drab and boring? Nah! New problems each day, new technologies to learn each day 🙂 It is fun. But in the end it depends on one's liking 🙂

12. Yes, Engineers love to solve problems and have jugaads too ;)'
    Hey Btw, I am Engineer too… Computer Engg 😀 Haha

E- Power of Expectation

Hi-five fellow engineer! 🙂

13. tulika singh says:

I never thought anyone could love being an engineer and for that I apologise. The thing is I struggled for years with maths and physics and found my calling very late in life. I do realise it's hardly engineering's fault but I held a grudge for a long time.

1. reemwrites says:

Sometimes that happens. But I was lucky enough to like engineering though I had no intentions of pursuing it once upon a time.

14. Aseem says:

Good to see you loving Engineering Reema :). But a lot still do Engineering just so that they have a course and think about a direction for their lives only once their engineering has been completed :P. Reminds me of a scene from the Hindi movie – 3 idiots. As soon as the kid is born, the parents decide that he will be an engineer ;).

1. reemwrites says:

Hahaha, yes I've seen that happen a lot of times too 😛

15. Nibhz says:

It's nice to hear that you love your chosen field of career. Not many that I know would agree that engineering is something that also requires passion, it's just not the 9-5 job!

Nibha @ Expressions

1. reemwrites says:

Yes, Nibha not many think that engineering requires passion. But like any other job, it does, in fact lots of it.